CHAIRMAN'S NEWSLETTER - APRIL 1998
1. This Newsletterupdates the October 1997 Chairmanís Newsletter.
2. The Annual General Meeting of the Association was held at the Bar Council offices, London, on 3rd April 1998. The following members were elected to serve the Association:
Chairman & Honorary Treasurer:
Mirza Ahmad, M.B.A., M.I.Mgt.
Head of Legal Services
Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council
Vice-Chairman & Honorary Auditor:
Julie James,LLB, Dip. Law
Head of Legal and Committee Services
Swansea City Council
Robert Posner B.A.(Hons)
Assistant Controller of Legal Services
Bexley London Borough Council
Public Relations Officer:
Marina Lipscomb, Dip.Law
Assistant Solicitor, Milton Keynes Borough Council (Member of the General Council of the Bar)
Elected Members of the Executive Committee:
Jonathan Teasdale LL.B., A.C.I.Arb.,
Public Law Consultant, Bunkers Solicitors, Hove
Former Chief Executive, Hove Borough Councils (ret.1997)
Tunji Fahm F.l.C.S.,
Ex-Chief Legal Officer, Islwyn Borough Council (ret.1996)
The Executive Committee has the power to co-opt up to five additional members to serve on the Committee. If any member wishes to be considered for co-option would s/he please contact Mirza Ahmad.
3. Paul Stivadoros: Members attending the AGM praised the past Chairman (who took early retirement from Milton Keynes last year). The AGM also authorised Mirza Ahmad and Robert Posner to present a gift, from the funds of the Association, to Paul by way of thanking Paul for his commitment and unstinting good work for the Association over many years.
Paul has indicated that he is enjoying his retirement and that he would like to keep in touch with members of the Association. He may be contacted at 5 Loukis Akitas Avenue, CY-1100 Nicosia, CYPRUS (Tel. 00357(0)2-772501 Fax: 773170 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
4. New Chairmanís Agenda for the Association:Mirza Ahmad and members who attended the AGM were adamant that the profile of the Association needed to be raised. Members are, therefore, encouraged to contact Mirza to indicate if they would be willing to write articles, publish books or present seminars/conferences on areas of interest to the legal profession. Sponsorship in appropriate case may also be available.
Suggestions on suitable eminent speakers or offers to assist in organising special events are also most welcome. Mirza, in turn, will also ensure that the Association responds to all relevant consultation documents and will try to develop other ways of raising the profile of the Association.
5. Feedback Questionnaire: Before we can effectively raise the profile of the Association, we need to ensure that the right membership issues are furthered. The attached Feedback Questionnaire has, therefore, been devised to ascertain the views of members. The opportunity is also being taking to consult members on a new corporate identity and image for the Association. Your views matter. Please complete and return the Questionnaire to the Chairman by 11th May 1998. Mirza will provide feedback on the results in the next Chairmanís Newsletter.
6. Annual Subscriptions: The subscriptions for 1998/99 are as follows:
Full members : £12.00
Associate / Retired members : £ 6.00
Members are encouraged to pay their tax-deductible subscriptions by Standing Order. Any member who established a Standing Order, prior to 1996, is also encouraged to update his/her Standing Order to the new banking details of the Association. A Standing Order Mandate is enclosed for your use.
Your continued support and assistance
is most appreciated.
To return to Association News, <Click here >